1. Have a designated place for everything. That's nothing new. But what I try to do is be mindful of where clutter seems to accumulate naturally, then I create an organizing solution for it right there. It's much easier to stay organized when you are working WITH habits instead of trying to change them altogether. I was tired of the piles of books, magazines and mail that seemed to accumulate on my kitchen counters. So, I put a small bookcase topped with some lidded wicker baskets by the back door. On the wall, I hung a series of shelves; most of the shelves are filled with decorative items. But on one shelf I placed a basket that is intended for holding napkins and flatware. The napkin slot is used for incoming mail. The flatware slots hold pens, sunglasses, sunscreen and bugspray (easily accessible for when we play outside). It's helped tremendously.
The shelves are similar to these found in Ballard's Design catalog, but at a much cheaper Lowe's price! :)
2. I keep a large accordian file in the kitchen for keeping up with day to day filing. I find that I can stay on top of things much better this way. Then when it gets full, I transfer it to a bigger filing system in another part of the house.
3. I try to always be as efficient as possible. If I'm walking to the back of the house, I try to collect anything that belongs there on my way. The other thing I try to do is keep a "one touch rule". I don't move something from the living room to the top of the dresser, only to have to be later moved to a drawer or to the closet. I take a few extra seconds to put it where it belongs.
I hope these tips help!


I've been trying to follow that "one touch" rule, too. So far, I've only consistenly applied it to the mail...but that one area has really made a big difference in our amount of clutter.
ReplyDeleteGreat Ideas!!! I also think that everything needs a place. I am your newest follower! Check me out when you get a chance.
ReplyDeleteBonnie
http://creatingahouseofgrace.blogspot.com